Friday, July 29, 2011

Restaurant Review #4: Pie 'n' Burger

Guess what I had for lunch.

Hamburgers are one of those things that the restaurant community is always trying to re-invent.   Several gourmet or trendy restaurants have re-envisioned the burger, with odd variations that included goat cheese, Kobe beef, cranberries, olives, salmon, and - in the worst-case scenario - a fried egg.   A FRIED EGG.   Sorry, I had to repeat that in case you weren't sure you read it right the first time.   A FRIED EGG.   The Burger Bar in Las Vegas has a $60 burger on their menu that includes foie gras and shaved truffles.   This all may be your cup of tea, but I prefer a old-time classic burger.   One of the best places to get a classic burger is in a little diner in Pasadena called Pie 'n' Burger.

Like the Apple Pan, this little diner is often listed as serving one of the best burgers in Southern California.  It has been in the same location in Pasadena since 1963, when the place opened.   The current owner started working there in 1972 and has kept the same restaurant fixtures, recipes and personnel.   The head baker has been there since 1972, and one waitress has been there since the restaurant opened.  It's small and unassuming; a large lunch counter and about 5 tables make up the entire seating area.  Seat yourself at the counter and look up at the wall, because, like any good lunch couter, that is where you will find the menu.  Burgers, sandwiches and a few hot dishes make up the menu.  They also serve a plethora of fresh-baked desserts, which I will get to later in this review.   Patience, little one.

I ordered the burger.   Duh.   What else do you order in a place called Pie 'n' Burger?   Well, yeah, I guess you could order pie too, but as I said, have patience.   The burger is brought to you wrapped in paper on a plate.   The meat is obviously hand-formed, giving each burger its own unique shape.  Fries are optional; They are good but nothing spectacular.   But the burger....   aaahhh.   It's just as it should be.  A nice big piece of fresh, crunchy lettuce, Tillamook cheese, and a hand-made thousand-island sauce that mixes with the juice from the meat to create a messy yet tantalizing burger.    I'm sure the onions and pickles are good too, if you like that kind of thing.  I don't. 

What wasn't so good?   Well, I was surprised to find that the milkshakes were not as good as I had hoped.   For a great milkshake, head over to nearby Fosselman's in Arcadia.   I'll write a review about that place later.  

Now for the dessert.   I had berry pie.  The pie was very good.   Not the best I have had, but very good diner pie.   The big secret ended up being the dessert my dining partner ordered - strawberry cake.   It's made with real strawberries, both in the cake and in the frosting.   My dining partner swears by it.   During our last visit there, they were sold out, and she swore by it in an entirely different way.  I snuck out the back door.

 Pie 'n' Burger is a Pasadena institution that is well worth a visit if you are in the area.  The meal is a little pricey, especially if you order two burgers like I always seem to do, but well worth it.   Tell them Joe sent you and demand a good table.   It won't mean anything to them, but I like to embarrass you every chance I get. 





No comments:

Post a Comment