Friday, April 20, 2012

The Top Five Daffy Duck cartoons

As promised, and in honor of Daffy Duck's 75th birthday, I'm posting my choice for the Top Five Daffy Duck cartoons.  Daffy has always been one of my favorite cartoon characeters, and I felt someone had to do something to honor this milestone. 

I thought choosing the top five would be difficult, but once I set a few rules it became much easier.   For starters, the cartoon had to star Daffy Duck.  This eliminated the cartoons he made co-starring with Bugs Bunny.  As great as those are, they'll go on the Bugs Bunny list once Bugs Bunny turns 75.  It also eliminated a few Porky Pig cartoons if Daffy was not the star.   "Porky Pig's Feat" and "You Ought to Be in Pictures" would have made this list, but since they are technically Porky Pig cartoons, I let them go.   If you'd like to see those cartoon, I posted them in a previous post; just click here or here.

Two of the cartoons I chose have already been posted in my blog.   If you click on those titles you can watch the cartoon at the previous post.  The other three will be posted in the next few days.

Here are my top 5 "Starring Daffy Duck" cartoons, in no particular order: 
We'll start with "Duck Amuck."   The less I say about the cartoon before it begins, the better, in case you are one of the 5 people in America that has never seen it.  In 1999 the film was deemed "culturally significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.  It was also voted by the animation critics as number two in the "50 Greatest Cartoons of All-Time."   Here it is, from 1953, directed by the legendary Chuck Jones:

No comments:

Post a Comment