Saturday, September 1, 2012

Travels with Joe - Lesson learned

Last year, I took a cruise to Alaska.   When I travel, I try to dress as comfortably as possible.  After all, I wear tie to work every day, so why would I want to dress up while on vacation?   I ignored the advice of everyone I know, who told me to be sure to take at least one nice set of dress clothes, and packed nothing but jeans and t-shirts.  I even called the cruise line, Norwegian, and asked if there was anywhere I couldn't go dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.   "No, you're fine," said the Norwegian who answered the phone.   "We are the Free-Style cruise!"
Well, day three out on the ocean, and I am invited to dine at the captain's table.   Remembering the advice of the Norwegian on the phone, I came dressed in my regular attire (This night, it was a Conneaut Lake Park t-shirt, jeans, and white sneakers).  As you can tell from the photo below, I kinda stood out.  In fact, half way through the meal, one of the ladies asked me if I needed to get back down into the engine room and stoke the boilers.  Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment