Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Great Honda Heist

Don't you hate it when things aren't where you left them?   I had that feeling Sunday morning.   I went out to where I thought I had left my car, reached for the car door...  but there was no door.   Someone had stolen my car door.  Along with the entire car.
Yep, my car was stolen.   This is the second time I have lost a car to theft.   Recent statistics say that you have a one in 207 chance of getting your car stolen.   Why can't my odds be so good in Vegas?   There, I never win.   But when it comes to car theft, I am way ahead of the odds.   The day Vegas invents a "Grand Auto Theft" slot machine, I will be first in line.
Another statistic: a car is stolen every 26 seconds in the United States.   In less than one minute, I have lost two cars.  Yeah, I know, but that makes sense to ME.  I can be unreasonable, darn it, I am a CRIME VICTIM.
The car I lost this time was a 1997 Honda Accord.  According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, a Honda Accord was the most-stolen car of 2009.   The number two most-stolen car is a Honda Civic.   Guess what kind of car I had stolen the first time...
I like Hondas.   I like the fact that they will continue to run as long as you take good car of mine.   This is the second Honda I bought new, planning to keep it until it was unrepairable.   I wanted to see how many miles I could log on a Honda before it gets to that point.   However, I will never find the answer because the test subject keeps disappearing in mid-experiment.   I'm reminded of the kid in the tootsie roll pop commercial who is trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.   He never finds out, as everyone bites the pop in mid-experiment.   I envy that kid.  For the record, I had 290,000 miles on this car.  So, the answer to my experiment is "more than that."

If anything, I figure I can get a few good blogs out of this.   Stay tuned, and I will update you on any progress the police make in recovering my vehicle.   If I have time, I will try and locate the pictures I took of my first stolen car once it was recovered.   They actually could have mailed it to me.   Or slipped it under the door.
Oh, for the record, here is the NICB 2009 list of most-stolen cars:

1. 1994 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1991 Toyota Camry
4. 1997 Ford F-150 pickup
5. 2004 Dodge Ram pickup
6. 2000 Dodge Caravan
7. 1994 Chevrolet pickup (Full Size)
8. 1994 Acura Integra
9. 2002 Ford Explorer
10. 2009 Toyota Corolla

Or, if you want the list of NEW cars, follow this link to a Consumer Reports list.

No comments:

Post a Comment